There really is a lot to know about garage doors. However, here are a few key things you (as a homeowner) should be aware of….
The most common garage door repair is the Garage door springs. They are designed to do virtually all of the work necessary to lift your garage door. Garage door springs, cables, brackets, and other hardware attached to the springs, are under very high tension and, if handled improperly, can cause serious injury.
- When dealing with garage door springs, you should take into account what type of spring you have. Garage Door Springs are available in two main types: extension and torsion. Torsion springs are by far to most common.
- Garage door springs come in different lengths and sizes to accommodate various standard size doors, from single garage doors to double doors. Springs are sized or adjusted at time of installation to balance the weight of the garage door.
- Spring are often installed in pairs and they should be replaced together, since the mate is likely to fail soon after the first, and any possible savings in parts isn’t worth the extra effort to repeat the work later. Your professional garage door technician will properly release the tension on the garage door springs before any adjustment or replacement.
- Correct spring size is determined by factors such as the weight and height of the door. For example, garage door springs are designed to accommodate the original intended weight of the door. If additional weight is added to the door sections after the original door installation, the door could become unbalanced such that operation is not smooth, possibly even resulting in damaged or broken springs.
- Also, any added weight can adversely affect the function of any garage door opener by overworking the motor and/or breaking key parts. The safety of a garage door is directly attributed to the design of these components working together without any other added material. For example, adding weight, including hanging large objects, to any part of the door or track can obstruct the pathway of the door and can cause the horizontal track to twist, buckle or deform. This has the potential to allow the door to fall out of the horizontal track.
Retrak Door Service specializes in garage door repair, service, sales and installation of garage doors and openers. Remember, for everything garage doors call Retrak. We are your Denver, Colorado garage door experts.