Well, it happened… you came home and pushed the garage door button and…. nothing happened. (bet you pushed it more than once too!)
So it’s time to call a pro and get help.. but there seem to be so many companies offering garage door repair… what do I ask – how do I choose?
Here are 9 questions that will definitely help you make this important decision.
- Are the garage door service people qualified? Find out if they are certified. Do technicians participate in ongoing training opportunities to keep current? You should expect a professional to arrive at your door and offer you identification before you let him or her in.
- What kind of trade associations does the business belong to? Reliable companies take the time to associate themselves with national, local and consumer protection organizations. Are they members of IDA (International Door Association)? are they Accredited by the IDEA (Institute of Door Dealer Education and Accreditation) – not all are! Remember, the garage door repair company wants to make sure its customers know they will be treated right.
- What do other customers say about the company? Check consumer websites like BBB, to see what ratings a particular each company has. See what your neighbor has to say about a specific company. Do a search with the name of your town and “garage door repair.” This will bring up many sites specializing in local repairs. Are the company’s customers satisfied with the service? Talk to family and friends when you are looking for repair service.
- Is the company experienced in repairing the type of garage door that you have? Although most garage door repair services will fix spring or cable and roller doors, some may not. Some services specialize in one type of door repair. Make sure you know the company works on the kind of door you need fixed.
- Does the company serve your area? There are nearly always multiple garage door repair services are listed for your area. Be sure that the service you are considering comes to the area you live in. Double check this when you make arrangements for a visit.
- How can you pay? Be wary of businesses who will only take cash. This is a big warning sign that the business is operating without proper licensing and without paying taxes owed. Nearly all honest services will take credit cards, checks and cash.
- Estimates? While most companies will charge a service fee for repairs. When considering a new door however, ask about Free estimates. When buying a new door, get estimates from at least two repair companies. Every legitimate company provides free estimates on new doors and openers and will not press you to make a decision when they give you the estimate.
- When will the job be completed? Many companies make a point to offer same-day or next-day service calls to their customers. You should be able to find a garage door repair company who is able to repair your door in a reasonable length of time, although some times during the year may be more difficult than others.
- How long is the warranty? Look for a company that is completely honest and candid about their warranties. Some companies offer extended warranties that are often better than the manufacturer’s. Make sure the company you decide to work with takes pride in their work.
Retrak Door Service specializes in garage door repair, service, sales and installation of garage doors and openers. Remember, for everything garage doors call Retrak. We are your Denver, Colorado garage door experts.