OK – you’re ready for the family get-away. But have you thought about your garage door?
Here are a few tips that can save you a lot of aggravation.
- While on vacation or away from home for extended periods of time, unplug the garage door opener unit or use a wall vacation lock console security switch, which is an optional accessory to most openers.
- Never leave the remote control in the car or with a parking attendant. It should be treated like a house key.
- Always lock the door from the garage to the inside of your home. It’s a small inconvenience for safety and security.
- If your opener doesn’t have a rolling-code technology system, be sure to change the manufacturer’s standard access codes on the operator and remote control. By using the standard factory settings, your garage is vulnerable to break-ins by anyone with the same brand of remote control.
- Consider purchasing a garage door opener with rolling-code technology, which changes the access codes each time the transmitter is used to prevent code-grabbing.
- Wireless keypads, which activate the garage door opener with a personal identification number (PIN), are available for most garage door openers. This allows family members to open the door without the use of a key or remote.
- Never disclose the PIN or leave it written down. Any mounting location for a keypad or wall button must be in direct line of sight with the door.
Remember, for everything garage doors call Retrak. We are your Denver, Colorado garage door sales, service, and repair experts.